Monday, September 8, 2008

Home Made Dog Food

Dog-Food-Is-Served
I've been making dog food for my little dog Cinnamin, and it occured to me that the recipe that I've been using might be helpful. I don't know that what I'm feeding her right now would be good for all dogs - but it got a thumbs up from my vet, and she looks pretty good (all things considered), so I'm going to stick my neck out and say that I do think this diet would be fine for any dog with renal disease and cancer.

Ingredients:

  • 1 can white meat chicken (no salt added)
  • 2 tablespoons condensed canned goat milk (I poured the entire can into an ice cube tray and froze it - then I dumped the cubes into a freezer bag. I'm assuming that 1/2 cube is equal to 2 tablespoons)
  • 1 tablespoon wheat germ
  • 3 heaping tbsp rice cereal for babies - more if needed

Here's how I put it together. I empty the can of chicken (including the liquid) into a 10 oz jar. I add the cube of goat milk, the wheat germ, and the rice cereal. Then I add just enough water to moisten the cereal but not so much that it's too soupy. If I happen to put too much water, I just add more cereal until it's the right consistency.

And that's it! She loves it. My dog weighs about 18 lbs and doesn't have much of an appetite, so if she eats the whole thing in one day - I'm really happy. This diet is high in protein, which isn't usually recommended for dogs with chronic kidney disease, but since she is in "hospice" the vet felt that it didn't matter.

Variations - substitutions - additions:

  • Substitute a can of salmon for the can of chicken.
  • Add cooked oatmeal, couscous, rice, or baked potato if you want to add bulk or carbs.
  • Add pieces of hard boiled egg.
  • My dog also really likes those little chicken sticks that you can find in the baby food section - they come in a bottle and look like little hot dogs.

Disclaimer:

I am not a vet - nor am I an expert in dog nutrition. This was the only thing I could get my dog to eat, and it's bad enough that she's dying of cancer. I didn't want her to starve to death at the same time. So, for those of you who want dog food recipes designed by a vet - specifically for dogs with chronic renal failure - stay tuned... there's more.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

3 Comments:

DOGGIE STEPS Dog Training, LLC. said...

Great article! Homemade dog food is ALWAYS the best way to go for your dog!!

Mark Siebel
http://www.doggiestepsdogtraining.com/index.html

(M)ary said...

awesome. thank you for the recipe!

Shirley Twofeathers said...

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it... My dog is actually doing so much better, and her appetite has improved so much that I have had to add as much as a cup and a half of cooked rice, couscous, or oatmeal to the above recipe. If she keeps improving at this rate, I may have her re-tested to see if the cancer is in retreat!!

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate comments - however - comment spam will be deleted when discovered. A big thank you to every one else for taking the time to put your two cents in.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Ask Auntie Moss

Auntie Moss

Ask any yes or no question, and Auntie Moss be givin' you an answer. This old witch woman is wiser than you think. Go ahead, give it a go.
Your question:
Auntie Moss says:

For A Different Kind Of Reading Try This!

Disclaimer

Images that appear on this site, original or modified for entertainment purposes, are copyright their respective owners and shirleytwofeathers claims no credit unless otherwise noted. If you believe your copyright has been infringed upon please contact me so I can start the removal process.