Sunday, November 18, 2007

knotted laces

by
shirley gibson

yes she is coming i hear her old lady shoes clonking up the stairs she said your shoe laces must be tied and not knotted tied and not knotted
yes they are knotted i must not be late for breakfast it is six oclock the laces are knotted and i am late
yes she is coming up the long stairs in her old lady shoes the laces are stubborn and garbled
yes the other children spill out of their rooms every morning with bright eyes shoes tied and tumble down the stairs like so many puppies i stay behind
yes my eyes are not bright my hair hangs down over my face my shoe laces are not tied
yes i am not a friendly puppy child i am the runt
yes my nose is running i am afraid my stubborn fingers fight with the laces i am only five years old my heart is beating so hard my whole body is beating so hard my whole body is shaking
yes i want my mama my mama is not coming she is not my mama she is the aunty edith the
yes maam my mama is never coming
yes i hear the murmur of the happy puppy children sitting down to breakfast
yes i am late she is coming and my shoe laces are like thin white snakes doing what they want and not what i want
yes they will not come unknotted
yes i am crying thick ugly tears i am scraggly and wet with a runny nose and red eyes i will never be able to tie these shoes i wish i could melt into the floor and disappear but i cant
yes she will hit me because i cant disappear into the floor because i am late for breakfast because my shoe laces are knotted she will hit me because i am a runt child
yes she thinks i will grovel and pee on the floor like a puppy but she is wrong
yes i am a runt puppy a runt coyote puppy child i will not cower i will curl my lip and snarl i will chew up those knotted laces with my sharp bright teeth i will chew up her old lady shoes
yes and gnaw on her ankles i will glide down the stairs like a shadow
yes i will sit at the table with those bright puppy children with their shoe laces tied with their hair neatly braided
yes i will show them my teeth i will lay my ears back
yes she is coming her old lady shoes clonking on the long hallway
yes she is opening the tall door
yes i am not sorry for my knotted laces for my red eyes i am not sorry for my stringy hair
yes i am the coyote child
yes i do not grovel when she hits me
yes i do not cry
yes i sit down to breakfast with soft puppy children
yes i am late
yes i show them my hard eyes my sharp teeth
yes my laces are still knotted
yes


Can you spot the "coyote kid"? Here's a hint.
She is the only girl wearing cowboy boots.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

4 Comments:

Changes in the wind said...

Love the picture!
I don't normally do this but enjoyed the answers so I have tagged you. Check out my site for the details and if you don't want to participate I won't be offended:)

Shirley Twofeathers said...

I'll check it out!

Anonymous said...

Wow (!) to Knotted Laces. It is Powerful. Profound. Poignant. Heart-wrenching. Meaningful.

You have the gift of potent expression. It hit me and resonated on so many levels.

Namaste and thank you!

Shirley Twofeathers said...

smiles and hugs to you motherwintermoon - thank you!

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate comments - however - comment spam will be deleted when discovered. A big thank you to every one else for taking the time to put your two cents in.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Ask Auntie Moss

Auntie Moss

Ask any yes or no question, and Auntie Moss be givin' you an answer. This old witch woman is wiser than you think. Go ahead, give it a go.
Your question:
Auntie Moss says:

For A Different Kind Of Reading Try This!

Disclaimer

Images that appear on this site, original or modified for entertainment purposes, are copyright their respective owners and shirleytwofeathers claims no credit unless otherwise noted. If you believe your copyright has been infringed upon please contact me so I can start the removal process.