Friday, March 7, 2008

Dreaming Snakes - What does it mean?

In my ongoing research on being bitten by snakes in dreams, I found the following:

Gillian Holloway, Ph.D. identifies being bitten by a snake as meaning different things. She says, "In many dreams a single snake will come to bite you, and you may in fact be bitten after a brief struggle. To your amazement though, you will not die, and may find that the situation is not as bad as you thought." According to Holloway you have this kind of dream if you are struggling with some problem, relationship or challenge. "Such a snake-ordeal is an important signal that you are going through a kind of initiation; a psychological and spiritual trial that has the potential to change your life for the better if you deal with it bravely and with a clear heart. You may have to give up something you thought you couldn't, or take a stand for your principles or faith."

Other interpretations:
When one is bitten by a snake in a dream, this often actually points to overcoming a situation that appeared dire. The a snake bit dream may point to learning to overcome a situation and regain your power in life. Snake bites can be viewed as in injection of wisdom, rather than life threatening venom.

An historical perspective:
In some cultures snakes are highly regarded and symbolize the ability to transcend into higher levels of consciousness or into areas of knowledge that exist outside perceived time and space. In the pre-Christian days, snakes were considered symbols of fertility, healing, and nurturing (the healing serpent representing a god). Post Adam and Eve, snakes are often considered symbols of temptation and evil, anger, and envy. Snakes emerging out of the ground may represent your unconscious or repressed materials coming to your conscious mind. Freud thought that the snake was a phallic symbol.

But wait, there's more!
It is amazing how many people have snake dreams! Most snake dreams seem to be disturbing and they leave the dreamer feeling anxious and afraid. There are no simple interpretations to the snake dreams. Each dreamer must consider their own situation and all of the details of the dream. Sometimes snakes may be phallic symbols and other times they represent negativity in our lives that hampers our progress and constantly threatens us. In the long run the snake may be a positive symbol; it may represent difficulties that lead us to the center of personality and result in feelings of completeness.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

9 Comments:

the gay bookworm said...

Okay if the snakes represent negativity in your life, thoughts etc....why are you not only holding on to the thoughts but claiming them. Giving them even greater power, feeding the snakes so that they can become giant anocondas of negativity. Let the snakes go to play in some one elses head.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I take back what I said about the meaning of the dream... because I was recounting what I remembered the interpretation to be... and apparently, that memory was coming through the lens of me being depressed this morning.

When I wrote this post, and when I saw that first thing about:

"Such a snake-ordeal is an important signal that you are going through a kind of initiation; a psychological and spiritual trial that has the potential to change your life for the better if you deal with it bravely and with a clear heart. You may have to give up something you thought you couldn't, or take a stand for your principles or faith."

I thought to myself - OK - that's what it is... then later it morphed into an idea that the snakes represent negative thinking... probably right about the time I started thinking negatively...

The other interpretations also sound correct to me:

"The snake bite dream may point to learning to overcome a situation and regain your power in life."

and:

"it may represent difficulties that lead us to the center of personality and result in feelings of completeness."

So... there you have it...

MLP said...

I had a dream last night that I was feeding greyish/brown snakes to redish/orange snakes. The firery snakes just devoured the grey snakes. I remember being AMAZED to the point of astonishment at how fast the snakes were inhaled.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an awesomely transformational dream! How cool!!

Anonymous said...

Dreamt I was bitten by a red snake with the face of the Chinese dragon.Looked at me.Couldnt get help.Meaning?

Anonymous said...

Ok help me with this dream. I dreamed I was in a dark field full of rattle snakes and cobras. I kept jumping up and down to avoid there bites they kept hissing and striking at me but never could bite me. Finally the face of my husbands ex showed up real big before me and I awoke. Explain please.

shirleytwofeathers said...

Anonymous - it sounds to me as if you feel threatened in some way by your husband's ex - maybe you feel she is a "snake in the grass" ?? What I think is good is that the rattlesnakes and cobras were unable to bite you - you were uninjured - possibly this means that your husband's ex is unable to hurt you...

Just an idea - something to think about!

Unknown said...

Heyaaa!! Awesome article! Really informative and conclusive. However I think it lacked some detail, as snake dreams can mean a lot of different things. (Sorry, just constructive criticism. :D) You should check out this article, http://goarticles.com/article/What-Does-It-Mean-When-You-Dream-About-Snakes/7521438/ to learn more about snake dreams. NOTE: Not spam, I don't own this article - just want to help :D

Hope this helps. Keep up the good work! :D

Unknown said...

I had a dream the other night about a snake in a tree feeding on some kind of animal the front part of him was fat and the legs of the animal was still sticking out of it's mouth .. I could see him through my window..so i step closer to see what was going on and the snake started to crawl towards me as it ate.. I then could hear it on top of the roof .. I coud hear it sliding around.. It then fell out of the vent into the room i was in .. I then got scared and i woke up !.I would love to know the meaning of this dream or if it means anything at all ..givin the fact that this is my first snake dream!!..ANYONE ?!

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate comments - however - comment spam will be deleted when discovered. A big thank you to every one else for taking the time to put your two cents in.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Ask Auntie Moss

Auntie Moss

Ask any yes or no question, and Auntie Moss be givin' you an answer. This old witch woman is wiser than you think. Go ahead, give it a go.
Your question:
Auntie Moss says:

For A Different Kind Of Reading Try This!

Disclaimer

Images that appear on this site, original or modified for entertainment purposes, are copyright their respective owners and shirleytwofeathers claims no credit unless otherwise noted. If you believe your copyright has been infringed upon please contact me so I can start the removal process.