Sunday, January 3, 2010

Aragorn Again

Every year, I sit down and watch The Lord of the Rings Trilogy from start to finish. I think about my life, and about who I would be if  that movie was my real life - what character I'd be playing. Then I think about who I would WANT to be, what role I would elect to play if I could just figure out how to do it.

So, I watched Lord of the Rings - and once again, I'm electing to "be" Aragorn. It would really be helpful if I was a man, a man in great physical shape, someone strong and cool looking... and it would be even more helpful if I was Viggo Mortensen... yes,.. it would be extremely helpful if I looked like this guy and could actually ride a horse!



But... no... It's just me, Shirley. Trying once again to be more than I am. Ok, that's not exactly true. It occured to me yesterday that the reason I have this deep seated desire to BE Aragorn is because I am Aragorn in my heart, and to see a vision of the inner me unfolding in a successful way... well... it draws me.. And it's frustrating as hell because my vision of my inner self and my vision of my outer self are so irreconcilably different. And the failure of my life is so unbearably present.

It's as if what Eowyn feared the most has already come true for me:

Aragorn: What do you fear, my lady?
Eowyn: A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.

Maybe instead of consistently picking Aragorn - I should set out to be Bilbo. Old and done. I could do that one quite easily, I think. Not happily. But easily. And I don't because the Aragorn inside me will not allow it. I guess I'm a fight to the death kind of person with no great battle to fight in...
 or something... so I end up just flailing around...

And this post has been moved to my new website, shirleytwofeathers.com - it can be found in it's glorious entirety here: Aragorn Again

,

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate comments - however - comment spam will be deleted when discovered. A big thank you to every one else for taking the time to put your two cents in.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Ask Auntie Moss

Auntie Moss

Ask any yes or no question, and Auntie Moss be givin' you an answer. This old witch woman is wiser than you think. Go ahead, give it a go.
Your question:
Auntie Moss says:

For A Different Kind Of Reading Try This!

Disclaimer

Images that appear on this site, original or modified for entertainment purposes, are copyright their respective owners and shirleytwofeathers claims no credit unless otherwise noted. If you believe your copyright has been infringed upon please contact me so I can start the removal process.