Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Seeing Snakes

While we were at Powell Gardens today, Daniel and I saw a water snake swimming in the lake. It was so cool... the way it slipped through the water so quietly and without effort. He was very alert to us. Even though we were fairly far from the edge of the water, he kept an eye on us, and wouldn't come ashore where we were.

northernwatersnake


It was one of those "magical" moments, and we were pretty sure it must have some significance. I also noticed that I've posted here quite a few times about snakes. Looks like snake is one of my totems for sure! So, in depth and in detail, here's the scoop on snake as a totem:

The Snake Totem

The snake dwells in so many places, climates and environments, comes in so many colors, shapes and sizes that this creature can be said to be one of the most versatile of all. Indeed snakes represent versatility, transmutation and change, their natural inclination to “shed their skins” leaving behind the old, and adapting to the new, supports this idea.

The snake has been, throughout the ages, controversial in many regards. Some see the snake as a bearer of evil or bad news, but most see the snake as the healer and spiritual icon that it is. The debate among Christain’s has always been whether the snake is the personification of evil or a holy and scared icon. There are many references to the snake in the bible, some portraying this creature as a bearer of evil, but most refer to its job as healer and spiritual muse. No where in the bible does it say that snakes are evil, however, like any creature, human or animal, they possess both noble and questionable qualities. Some people fear them and many more are charmed by them.

Most of us recognize the snake as the symbol of physicians and alchemists, which shows two snakes wrapped around a staff. This again, supports their totem reputation as healer. Snakes are highly respected in India and their lore and symbolism is highly regarded by their culture; Vitana, the mother of snakes, is the symbol of water and the underworld and the Goddess Shiva always wears snakes on her body as jewelry, which represents sexuality. American Indians also see the snake as a representation of fertility and healing.

Those who are said to posses Snake like qualities have control over their emotions, excellent intuition and the ability to heal quickly. They are slow to anger but have enormous coiled power within them and will strike with control and precision when they must. Some snake type people, like their reptile counterparts, will give their opponent fair warning before striking, others will attack powerfully and without any warning. Snakes rarely, if ever, attack unless provoked, which is an excellent lesson for all of us to learn. Others should be on their guard when in snake territory and should respect the snake’s province.

Snakes awaken spiritual and magical intuition in the person who chooses this totem or is chosen by it. Snakes are associated with unseen creative forces at work. With the snake totem the powers of intuition and observation becomes keener and more precise. As snakes represent change and intuition the combination of these characteristics will allow for great new developments in life and the proper instinct for deciding which changes will be effective and which should not be made. They represent openness to new experiences, and thus, opened horizons.

The Snake in the wild is generally clam and peaceful. They hunt for food when hungry and can go long periods of time without eating again. They bask on warm rocks and will usually not attack unless prompted. To annoy or provoke a snake is a very unwise mistake, which many people make. Because of their calm and somewhat shy nature, many believe that they are too still or quiet to be much harm, however, as many have discovered, while a snake may seem as though it is still and unaware, if pressed they can and will deliver a dangerous blow or bite, sometimes without warning, that can leave permanent damage or even cause death to its victim.

Snakes are very sensitive to their environment, they are silent, calm creatures and seem to be very serene on the outside, but within this animal is coiled power that can deliver lethal blows, with well timed and startling accuracy. The snake is a powerful totem, symbolizing eternity, wisdom, transformation and intuition. Their wisdom is expressed as healer and the snake has been used as a symbol of this for centuries.

The Magnificent Snake Totem possesses the following virtues:

Wisdom, healing, intuition, awaking of creative forces, ability to handle change without resistance, new opportunities for change, material vitality, intellect, power over rashness in speech and thought, emotional control, increased sensitivity to the environment, increased powers of smell, transmutation, and increased powers of observation.

But wait, there's more!

Snakes are fascinating creatures that deserve respect. Throughout history the snake has had many legends associated with it linking them to creation, fertility and transformation.

In Israel the snake was regarded as the earth mother and played a beneficial role in fertility. In Egypt the cobra was known for its ability to expand the upper neck into a disc shape by spreading its ribs which symbolized immortality. In Christian lore the snake is seen rising from the chalice of St. John wound around a cross sometimes portrayed with a woman's head to symbolize lust and temptation. In Eastern cultures a snake rising up through the spine represents the kundalini, or life force being awakened.

One of snakes most noticeable characteristics is the regular shedding of its outer skin as it grows. Once the skin is shed, the old inner layer becomes the new outer layer and a new inner layer of skin begins to develop. Crawling out of its old skin is very significant for those with this medicine. It is a metaphor for how we shed old ways and habits as we grow into higher spiritual energy symbolizing the death and rebirth process. It is also associated with astral travel and out of body experiences.

The eyes of a snake are always open protected by immobile transparent scales. Prior to shedding its skin the snakes markings become obscure and the eyes appear opaque or blue. This gives it a trance like appearance as if it is looking right through you. Learning how to see into the hearts of others is part of what it teaches us.

Snake has been a symbol of life and sexuality for thousands of years in many cultures. It is a totem of power, renewal and transmutation. Soundless in motion and invisible at rest snakes are unable to produce their own body heat. They are often seen lying in the hot mid day sun. The suns warmth coupled with the snakes behavior regulates their body temperature. Not relying on the energy of food to generate body heat, they can survive on meager diets for extended periods of time. Those with this totem need very little food to energize themselves. They are usually cold and prefer warmer climates. Their body temperatures are often lower than normal.

Snakes lack eardrums and external ear openings but have small bones in the head that conduct sound. They are able to hear low frequency sounds and sense vibrations that travel through the earth. This links them to the underworld where secrets are stored. The snake symbolizes healing on a cellular level. Because their bodies are lightweight and flexible they have speed and agility.

When they enter into your world expect swift changes to sweep through your life. These changes signify a death of the old and a birth into untapped power, creativity and wisdom. Snake is a powerful totem to have. Only those with a high degree of spiritual training, be it past or present, will be awarded this totem. It is the guardian of sacred places and the keeper of hidden knowledge.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

31 Comments:

Shirley Twofeathers said...

What's cool is that I'm starting to actually see this begin to happen. Lots of transformations!

Patricia ~ The Naked Writer said...

Hi Shirley! Thank you for writing such a wonderful piece. I encountered a snake this even for the first time, and googled the spiritual meaning of it and your blog was the first to come up...I realize this post is from 2 years ago, but it looks like your blog is still active so I wanted to say thank you and I appreciate all the hard work and effort it took to compile all of this wonderful information. It's been a weird week for me...I feel like lizards and bugs everywhere are hunting me down, so far I found a bunch of ants carrying off a lizards tail then later on i found a tailess lizard (gecko) in my kitchen stealing some of my rubber bands in his mouth ...i even got a picture to prove it cause I thought i was hallucinating...then a praying mantis entered my house and now a baby boa constictor was outside my door...I know i live in the jungles of thailand but i have lived here for a year and never once saw a snake or a lizard stealing my rubber bands...I had to know the significance of this cause it's too many things to just be coincidences right? What do you think it all means?
I am loving your blog!
If you would like a laugh and a giggle, maybe you would also like to check out mine?
Thanks for your time, have a lovely day!
www.thewritingwomb.com

Shirley Twofeathers said...

Wow! Of course, I am now commenting like... way late... I'm so not used to getting comments here! And I have no idea what it means, but it occurs to me that it could have to do with a number of things... like are you having boundary issues? have you opened any unusual doors lately? are you "going native" in ways that are not obvious? perhaps the gecko is asking you to stretch a little? or have you been doing too much stretching?

It's all very interesting and brings up so many questions! I'm wondering now if the visits have continued? or if you figured it out?

Anonymous said...

Dear Two Feathers

What are the chances, I am from Africa and just moved to Australia, I have come accross 3 snakes in a Day. Your informative blogg has helped me and makes loads of sense being a healer myself. Whew my shattered nerves...

kefir said...

I appreciate all the interesting information you include here. I would like to encourage you to research more on the information you refer to. For example, the god Shiva is male, not female as he is referred to in your post. As we know, accurate arguments make for stronger arguments even though we are just human behaving as humans do.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this most encouraging and exciting explanation for my seeing a ring necked snake right in front of my front door! It must mean I am to enter a great change in my life with increased opportunities!

LuLu from Florida

Anonymous said...

Hello,

A few days ago I sweated a heart (it was on my shirt and basically covered my stomach). The next day I saw a snake and that afternoon I had a not so good dream about a lady that I've been talking to for about 8 months now. Then I found your site after researching 'what does it mean when you see a snake'. You and the lady I talk to have the same first name. Whats going on?

MagickCandle said...

what does it mean to see black baby snakes???

Thea said...

I have seen 9 snakes in the last couple of days and came upon your blog trying to figure out what that meant...wow! I must say that my initial reaction to them is fear....I can feel my heart race! After reading your blog I am so inspired...I am embarking on a new journey and I know feel that the snakes are a message from the universe that I am on the right track!! Thank you for the wonderful post!!

Anonymous said...

I'm the only one in my family who keep on seeing snakes and I've been looking for an explanation. Your blog has cleared my mind :) thankyou

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Three snakes have visited our home in the past week. I have been contemplating making many changes in my life and then these snakes appearded. I wanted to understand the spiritual significance.

Autumn said...

Thank you. I've been seeing Northern Water Snakes almost everywhere I go. This helps, and fits

Anonymous said...

I was married on 10/20/2012. Of course my wedding colors included orange. I have lived in my home in Southern NJ for over ten years. The night before my wedding, an orange and red/orange snake was in my front doorway, right outside of my storm door. It even continued to climb up the glass. This is the first time we have ever seen a snake at my home. I googled the meaning, and came to your sight. I would still like to find more information on the meaning. We have been trying for a little one, I beleive this to be a good sign given to us about our future in many ways. Thank you

curious aussie said...

In the past two months i have had seven snakes around the house yard. Four red bellied blacks, two brown snakes and one tigar snake.I decided to find the meaning out of curiosity.i guess i'll wait for the outcome. thank you for your help :-)

Unknown said...

In the past two days I have seen two snakes at my house. The first one I found had just came inside the door of my house. It was a small snake and luckily my cat caught it. It obviously made its way under the screen door somehow. The second one on the second day was a huge snake that was making it's way towards my door & had gotten within feet of the door. Needless to say, I am terrified of snakes so I panicked & killed it, but now I'm feeling really bad about doing so. But this got me to thinking and questioning, why am i beginning to see snakes all of a sudden... 2 in 2 days when I normally never see any at all. so I decided to google the spiritual meaning of seeing snakes and came across your blog. I see that it's pretty old but I wanted to comment anyway in hopes of getting a response. Any thoughts or responses on this would be greatly appreciated. Namaste!

Neelam Kaur said...

Hi

I don't want to doubt about the writeup, however I am trying to seek some guidance. We had been seeing snakes off and on inside our house. However, till date its been 37 years we are fighting with financial situation, house building is not constructed or half construction due to financial crunch.
Besides numerous problems in our lives, my elder sister is not getting married, and we are not able to understand reasons.
May be you can help.

Dufa said...

I have been trying to conceive my second child since a miscarriage earlier this year, and with my first child the day I found out I was pregnant, my husband saw a snake run under the house. Snakes kept appearing for the rest of that pregnancy, and my daughter was born (in the year of the snake, no less!)
Now a baby corn snake got my attention this evening just outside where I'm staying, and led me to his shed skin, along with the skins of his brothers and sisters! Just as my cycle is starting to come back under control, I feel like this is a good sign!

Luxury Serviced Apartments Guy said...

The symbolism around snakes really is so fascinating! I never knew about the fertility link actually.

Anonymous said...

So interesting. My preschooler has been having behavior issues at school. I have been so confused about why it's happening and what to do. This afternoon he was playing in the yard with his older sister and they saw a snake, which is a first in 11 years at this house. Anyway, my daughter said the snake came right up to him and "licked" him. They were both terrified, but strangely I was not afraid. I found the snake, and it was not poisonous. It was such unusual behavior though. Don't snakes usually hide? Whenever I see them they are slithering away into hiding. This one was willing to be seen and you he him! I decided to look it up. After reading this I feel like it was a sign of hope. That he will shed his old skin and gain more self control. I have known from the beginning he doesn't want to hurt others but has a hard time controlling his response when he is scared/angry so it's exactly what I hope for him. He is VERY intuitive too so I feel like he could grow to possess other snake attributes. Thanks for sharing this info.

Anonymous said...

But what would it mean if you see several of them over a period of time. Specially at spiritually significant places. I went to a spiritual center and saw 15 snakes in two days, something that even the workers dont get to see. Of these, 5 snakes were spotted on the last morning of departure and the very last one as I was exiting the center. Then a few months later I went to another spiritual place, and I saw one immediately on checking in. Since yesterday, I have been going for walks on a bike trail in northern virginia, and currently am seeing one everyday. All these sightings are since may through now. It's statistically really strange.

Anonymous said...

hello there. unsure about typing this .. however here it goes.

I live in the northeastern part of north Carolina. over the past week, I have now seen three large black snakes in my back yard. The first one was hide in the top of my utility shed in a box. We didn't even notice it until we went to get something out of the box and it hissed. This snake was trying to bite us. The second black snake we just caught and released at a near by river which is less than a few blocks from our home. The third black snake we saw in the exact same spot as the second snake. Could the third snake be the same snake as the second???? Do black snakes find there way back home?????

Also- while cleaning up the yard ( which we do every week) we started thinning out the bushes and a large brown snake fell out and slide away.

what do all of these snakes mean???

Fyi- over the last few months I have had lots of moles in my yard. could the snakes be eating these?????

Where would they laid their eggs??

Would seeing three black snakes in one week represent anything getting ready to happen or trying to prepare me for a change in my life.??

thank you



thank you

Unknown said...

anonymous

i saw the cobra inside our room, what it means?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

When i was aboutten years old,am nos 59, a snakecamero my bed and there it was beside metrying i think to get warm. Ofcourse i didnt know at the time. I was very frightened and covered all my body with my blanket. I woukd push it the whole night with knees but it kept coming close. I wanted to shout so my dad anc mun next door would come but ifeared to make noise lest i annoy it. I struggled for sbout two hours but there it was and when pushed ,it would make like very faint fuuu noise. I slept off. When i got up i couldnt find it ut my mum found marks and piece of old snake skin. Have never forgotten this but havd also tried to understand its meaning. I have ot fully. James

Anonymous said...

We saw a snake climbing up our stairs a few days ago. Still trying to figure out what it may mean. Me and my wife are trying hard to buy our own house as we are renting. Did you see any transformation from your experince. Rather similar one to us ?

Dean Swan said...

Was jogging along the road, and was 2 steps away from stepping onto a black cobra. The snake had in its mouth I think a large spider, as I saw the spider legs. It stopped as I jumped to get myself away from it's direction. It is swiftly move into the bushes. - what could this mean for me? I had a very strong sense I'm suppose to meet this shining black snake tonight. Can you share some insights on this? (Dean)

AVI said...

Nice article. I just want to add something. Lord Shiva is a male not female.
Thank You!!

Anonymous said...

Very very surreal. On my moving out of my old house, there was a baby snake that stayed by my back door, in the grass, the last 3 days I was living there. The day I moved, it (sadly) died. But on my first week in a completely new place, an apartment building now, not a house. I saw a baby snake slithering across the parking lot crossing my path as I entered my new “home”. From one job and city, to a new job, a new home. A new life. Very strange. I happen to be born in the year of the snake so perhaps I’m getting a message?

Sharon said...

Loved reading your information, I have had many encounters with snakes from when I was young, most. Of them with taipans and eastern brown here in Australia, they have coiled up close within one step away ready to strike but retreat all of a sudden,these few times scared me a lot. But most have just been there looking at me or nearly stepped on, I have had two pythons fall on me from above and if I stand up high I can feel if a snake is in the area and the we often see one, wittinessd by my husband who thinks I am a strange snake magnet.
Ever since I was a kid I have seen them, but they seem to be just beside me when I am waking. So I figured there may be something going on. My last encounter with a 2m eastern brown snake was life or death he was so close an coiled read to go, I was so close I remember everything about his underbelly, colour,scales it was close. Now just moved 2000klm away to a new farm that has had a few snakes on it never an eastern brown, and what shoes up another 2 m one, my father in law has owned the property for 50 years and hasn’t seen one, just common snakes. Other unusual things that happen are from a kid is flying in my dreams and choosing where to go, being awake in dreams and controlling them. Knowing things about people bodies and their thoughts. I will stop now as sounds a bit odd and never told of these things . Hopefully someone could shed some light on a few things. Thanks

Unknown said...

I've seen 4 snakes in 5 days. 2 of them beached sea snakes. I know it's a sign, just not sure what. I'd prefer the message without the actual snakes - they scare me!

Unknown said...

I have been visited by 2 snakes in 3 days. The first was a rattlesnake and then a very large rat snake. The rattlesnake startled me, the rat snake just hung out with me while I worked around the fence he was on. Such beautiful creatures.

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate comments - however - comment spam will be deleted when discovered. A big thank you to every one else for taking the time to put your two cents in.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Ask Auntie Moss

Auntie Moss

Ask any yes or no question, and Auntie Moss be givin' you an answer. This old witch woman is wiser than you think. Go ahead, give it a go.
Your question:
Auntie Moss says:

For A Different Kind Of Reading Try This!

Disclaimer

Images that appear on this site, original or modified for entertainment purposes, are copyright their respective owners and shirleytwofeathers claims no credit unless otherwise noted. If you believe your copyright has been infringed upon please contact me so I can start the removal process.